Friday, February 20, 2009

Routines

I'm emptying out Nala's food and water bowls. She starts getting excited. The bowls go in her travel bag; the toys go in next. Pretty soon, Nala is laying on the floor by the hook where her leash hangs. She's facing me, ready to get her leash clipped as soon as I get close enough.

We're going to Daddy's house!

Nala's a smart dog and knows my routines by now. She knows when it's time for training, or to head to my boyfriend's for the weekend, or when I'm headed for work.

The problem is when these routines lead to separation anxiety. When I leave for work, she knows it's time to go to her den, where she stays during the day. For a while I was letting her roam the house while I was at work, but then she started chewing - tables, bannisters, the things I can't simply put out of her reach.

I was really frustrated by this. She never chewed when I was home, why when I'm gone? She gets exercise, though more is always in order; she has plenty of toys that are ideal for strong chewers. So why the chewing?

After doing some research, it turns out that this is a strong sign of separation anxiety. Short of a doggie psychologist (which I won't go to, I don't live in Hollywood), how can we stop this?

By breaking the routine.

I've got her bag packed for the weekend, but I'm typing this instead of loading her into the car. She's no longer waiting by her leash (though she is keeping an eye on me). I don't gush goodbye or fall over with greetings when leaving or coming home. I'm trying to lessen the significance of those events.

It seems to be helping. While I haven't left her out during a workday since the last episode of mass destruction, I have been leaving her out for longer periods, like when I'm running errands or going out with friends. There haven't been any more incidents, but it's only been a few weeks. Still, with patience (and some Bitter Apple) I'm sure we can trust this dog again.

Plus, she's still just 9 months old (barely). Need to keep my expectations realistic and understand that she's still solidly a puppy, and puppies chew. Which is why I've suggested nicely to my boyfriend that maybe our next dog should be a little older when we adopt it...

No comments:

Post a Comment